- I’m glad to see Alex Riley get back into the ring as I think he was an overlooked talent that had breakout potential. Of course, that was during his “A-Ri” gimmick. As a heel with The Miz, he was awesome. He was gaining popularity once he turned on Miz but something happened and he disappeared before going into commentary. Now? Well…now his gimmick is that he’s got “Riley Rage”, which is ridiculous (I couldn’t believe it when I saw it on his TitanTron entrance video). I just don’t see him as a plausible babyface. Some people are simply better off as being heels and Riley is one of those people. I think he’s already in trouble as an in-ring performer after only two matches. Y’know…most WWE releases come on the heels of WrestleMania. Just sayin’…
- I’ll admit…I watched the show Entourage when it was on TV. Once it was over, I thought that would be the end of it (it was getting a little repetitive near the end of things). Now that there is a movie coming out, I thought it was a brutal idea. Of course, that all changed once I saw the movie trailer. I’m really looking forward to this!
- The news that Uhaa Nation has signed a deal with WWE is tremendous. You want to talk about the future of the business? This is the guy to look out for. I’ve never cared for his indy wrestling name, but I’ve always been blown away by his in-ring ability and charisma. He’s big, he’s muscular, and he’s extremely agile. He’ll be a mainstay in NXT for a year or two, but he’ll develop into a main event WWE guy over the next few years. Give it time and patience…he’ll get there.
- Another name rumoured to have signed with WWE is Samoa Joe. I gotta say…I’m a little surprised to see this happen. It’s not because he doesn’t deserve it because he should’ve been kicking ass in WWE years ago. It’s because Triple H has now deemed NXT to be the breeding ground for the best wrestlers in the world, regardless of their size or shape (well…with the exception of Ricochet, who was deemed “too small”). Joe is universally recognized as being one of the best wrestlers in the world. He is the total package with the exception of having that “Vince McMahon physique”. If he does sign and shows up in NXT, I expect a “Kevin Owens-esque” race to the top of the card. He’s got a built-in global audience to go along with his other assets, so NXT would be silly to let that go to waste.
- I don’t know about you, but I’ve jumped on the Meerkat At this point, I’m only a viewer and have zero plans to broadcast anything myself, but I can totally see the attraction of the app. I mean, it’s like a live press conference/Google chat video session on your phone. For example, I’ve tuned into to watch one of my favourite bands, Walk Off The Earth, just talk about life and get excited about their new album. I was able to ask a couple of questions that were answered, and it was all a live, streaming video on my phone. In addition, WWE gave us a tour of the WrestleMania Axxess area before it was open to the public. From what I’ve read, it will be a major tool that politicians use for the upcoming U.S. elections. Will this be the next “big thing”? Yeah…I think it will. It’s not meant for a one-on-one conversation, but can definitely be used for a lot of other applications.
- I used to be a massive Arnold Schwarzenegger fan back in the day. But let’s face it…that time kinda came and went. Having said that, I’m absolutely intrigued by the newest Arnold movie. It’s a completely new take on the zombie genre and I, for one, think it could really be something special. Don’t take my word for it, though…see for yourself.
- So NXT held a 4-man tournament at WrestleMania Axxess yesterday to name the one NXT star that would appear in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal on Sunday (now on the free pre-show before the actual PPV). The man who won was Hideo Itami (Finn Balor defeated Tyler Breeze and Hideo Itami defeated Adrian Neville to set up the Itami/Balor final). Now, I’ve been a KENTA fan for years and was stoked to see him sign to WWE. But as I’ve mentioned on this website (and others) before, Itami has had a pretty rough time trying to adapt to the American style of wrestling. In addition, he’s tiny in comparison to the normal WWE superstars…so he really needs a gimmick of some kind and a heel turn to help him get over with the general WWE audience. Is his call-up to the main roster imminent? Perhaps…but he’s far from ready. In-ring he’s fantastic; that’s not the issue. It’s a matter of being a “sports entertainer” and making people forget that you’re only 5’7″ tall in a world where 6′ is considered short. Don’t get me wrong…I’m rooting for Itami to be very successful in WWE. It’s just that I don’t see that happening any time soon.
- Song of the Week is the latest video from The Offspring, “Coming For You“. As a fan from their debut back in 1993, I’m glad to see them continue to crank out fun, punk-pop songs. Some fans whine about them wanting to go back to being “more punk” but that’s just ignorance and stupidity. These guys are 20 years older; of course their style is going to change over time. To me, though, the music still holds up.