– ATTENTION: AMERICANS – As someone on the outside looking in (i.e. Canada), can I just say the rest of the world is absolutely baffled at the potential of Donald Trump being your next president. As someone with ZERO political experience on his resume, how can this even be a “thing”? The world respects President Obama, even if 50% of Americans don’t. You can officially consider yourself to be a laughingstock if Trump is elected. And for those backing him and asking that we all give him a chance, what does he bring to the table from a political background? What can he offer that none of the other candidates can? Sure, the guy is entertaining as hell…but leading the most important country in the world? Good lord, people…give your heads a shake before you place your votes. – So Dixie Carter FINALLY confirmed that Destination America, after less than a year, has decided to shit-can TNA Impact from their schedule. While the reports were out weeks ago, she finally fessed-up in an interview with Sports Illustrated online. Of course, she re-worded it to sound like it was no big deal…saying, “We’re contracted to Destination America through the end of the year, and we are in discussions going on for 2016.” And what’s funny about this story is that I’ve read next to nothing about it online over the past couple of days. I realize most people thought this was going to happen anyway, but still…to have it confirmed, you would think more fans and wrestlers alike would say something. Is this the death-knell for TNA? Maybe…maybe not. At the end of the day, their product is simply one that American wrestling fans don’t want to watch even though they are on over 100 stations worldwide (having said that, DMAX has canceled Impact from their schedule, so that affects the European markets of Austria, Switzerland, and Germany). Those not watching WWE are wanting an alternative…a TRUE alternative…and they’re getting that from independent promotions. Once somebody realizes that and puts big time money into a solid indy product, I’d like to think that you’ll see sparks happen.
– I never read Moby Dick as a kid, but I’m kinda familiar with the story. Having said that, I had never even heard of In The Heart Of The Sea until I watched the trailer this week. Watch this and tell me this doesn’t look like a kick-ass movie?
– In a “shakin’ my head” moment, it’s been reported that WWE has signed Tough Enough finalist Zamariah “ZZ” Loupe. I just can’t get on board with this. I mean, sure…he has a ton of personality, but his ignorance of the product and lack of overall ability cannot be ignored. Can he really be a WWE superstar?? I’d be shocked if he ever shows up on television again. I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that the internal dislike for this man has resulted in his actually getting signed. Insane.
– I watched Total Divas for the first time this past week just to see if Paige was going to get engaged or not. I mean, I’ve followed the general storylines from YouTube clips and whatnot, but had never actually sat down to watch an entire episode. The show was ridiculous, with blatant attempts to mix in “scripted reality” with “reality”. So at this point, I can’t really decide if this proposal was real or not…or if Paige is REALLY engaged or not. Can I just say that if she is, that reduces her “hot factor” with me a little bit. Just a bit…
– If you haven’t watched the WWE Network’s new show, Table for 3, then you’re really missing out on some fun. The first episode featured “Mean” Gene Okerlund, “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff, and the late, great “Rowdy”Roddy Piper. They just sat around a table, ate some food, and shot the shit with each other. That was okay, but then the latest episode featured all three members of New Day (Kofi Kingston, Big E, and Xavier Woods). This was extremely entertaining and really opened up the possibilities for the show. There’s no interviewer, so it’s not scripted. We learned a lot of information from the New Day episode and I can’t wait to see more of these down the road. WWE can really retain a large WWE Network audience if they continue to product content like this.
– New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul blew a finger off in a Fourth of July fireworks accident. This week the New York Daily News captured the best photo yet of an unbandaged missing index finger. In the picture, you can see that he’s missing his index finger, still has a bandaged middle finger, and his thumb has a small “missing chunk”.
In response, he tweeted the following yesterday…
Of course, you initially think…hmmm…he’s got a point. Then you simply have to Google a little bit to see how wrong he is:
As noted by ESPN, “Pierre-Paul has yet to sign his $14.813 million franchise player tender because he fears the Giants would then place him on the non-football injury list and elect not to pay him. His plan is to return when he can pass the Giants’ physical, at which point they would be unable to put him on the non-football injury list (because, by definition, he wouldn’t be injured).” The problem is that the Giants could rescind the franchise offer at any time if they don’t think he can play at the level they need him to. That would then make him a free agent….and just another example of “stupid is as stupid does”.
– Independent wrestler Cherry Bomb (real name: Laura Dennis) recently broke her collarbone during a match with Candice LeRae. As you can imagine, medical bills are pretty brutal for someone on the indy circuit…especially when the injury will put her out of action for three months. Thankfully, t-shirt designer Dave Bogart donated a pretty kick-ass design to this 10-year veteran’s Pro Wrestling Tees store, and wrestlers from around the country began tweeting out the link and the design. I don’t even know who Cherry Bomb is, yet I’d love to have this t-shirt, which you can find here: http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/cherrybomb… – If you haven’t been watching NXT lately, you might be missing out on a great tag team: Jason Jordan & Chad Gable. Here’s the thing, though…Jordan was originally set-up to be the star of the team, but Gable has been the one impressing everybody with his in-ring ability and his mic skills. He has, in fact, caught the attention of WWE management. The problem? Well…he’s a bit on the small side. At only 5’8″ and 200 pounds, Gable is hardly an impressive physical specimen. Having said that, though, he was a Minnesota high school state wrestling champion, won the final of the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials in the 84 kg category, and even progressed to the 2012 Summer Olympics, where he won his qualification round before being eliminated. He’s been in NXT since the end of 2013, but has been doing extremely well in blending amateur skills with sports entertainment skills. Is he the second coming of Kurt Angle? It’s hard to say, but I’ve definitely got an eye on the guy because I think he has the all-around ability to be something special in the ring.
– There have been online rumblings as of late that there might be interest in Jay Lethal from WWE. To be 100% honest, I can’t see that being the case for anything other than NXT…but even if it was NXT, then that’s a very cool thing. This is what Lethal himself had to say about it: “I’ll say if that is true, I’m honored. I haven’t heard anything about that myself. Would you work for WWE? I’ve answered this question before. To me the answer is still the same. To say it wouldn’t be cool to work with or for the company that helped create my love for professional wrestling, I would say that I was lying. So given the chance and if the timing was right, sure I would definitely work for or with them.” Lethal also stated that he is very happy as the face of a company known worldwide for its wrestling, so while he’s still under contract I don’t see him moving away any time soon.
– Song of the Week comes from a guy who should’ve had a kick-ass solo career, but instead just had a couple of songs that were great and then he drifted off into the abyss counting his Duran Duran money. Y’see, Andy Taylor first broke away from the band to be part of the Power Station and re-invent his sound. Then he had one of my all-time favourite songs from a crappy movie featuring Wayne Gretzky’s smokin’ hot wife, “Take It Easy“. I miss this type of hair metal/arena rock. I wish there was more of it around today. Since there isn’t, thank fuck for YouTube…