I don’t even know where to begin this week. Damn…so much going on!
– Let’s kick things off with the biggest wrestling story of the week, which was the retirement of Daniel Bryan. I’ve been saying for months now that he needed to stay out of the ring for his own health. It actually bothered me on Monday to see so many people online complaining about “politics” holding him back from competing…that somehow people within WWE didn’t want him to come back and succeed. The fact of the matter is that WWE has been bombarded by lawyers and lawsuits and bad publicity concerning concussions and the possibilities of long-term medical issues caused by concussions. The NFL has been hit really hard with lawsuits and such, as well. With all of the bad press and scrutiny focused on WWE about head trauma, do you think it would have been a good idea for a publicly-traded company to put someone with a history of concussions back into the ring? Bryan himself said that they could document about 10 concussions that he has had. Not only that, but he admitted on Tuesday that he has been suffering from seizures that he has hidden from everybody. I understand that hindsight is 20/20, but online fans were just so goddamn eager to see Bryan back in the ring again that they refused to see the long-term medical implications of his return to in-ring bumping.
I have been a fan of Bryan Danielson for over a decade now. What he has done inside the squared circle is nothing short of incredible. I only wish him nothing but the best in his new life, whatever that may hold. He may not have ever wanted to leave the ring, but there is still so much that he can offer the world that he’ll never be bored.
– The 60-day suspension of Titus O’Neil came to light on Tuesday as a result of something that happened at the conclusion of Daniel Bryan’s retirement. You can watch it below before it (again) gets taken down…
From what I’ve read, O’Neil hasn’t only been suspended but has been fined, as well. I understand that Vince McMahon wanted to make an example of out O’Neil because there has been too much “goofing around” between professionals, but this seems a bit over-the-top…ESPECIALLY since there isn’t any current rule or regulation in place.
Having said that, however, O’Neil knows that he did something wrong. Does it warrant the punishment? Not necessarily, but he grabbed the chairman of the company while cameras were rolling in a non-storyline way. Even if they are good friends, that’s absolutely unprofessional conduct. I couldn’t imagine joking around with my boss (even if we were on very friendly terms) in front of other employees by grabbing him at the end of a meeting. Is it exactly the same situation? No…but it’s in the same ballpark.
Everybody loves jumping on situations that they deem to be unjust. I’ve read that Titus O’Neil is considered “the biggest babyface in the company” because of the outpouring of support he has received in the past few days. People think that he didn’t do anything wrong and was just joking around with Vince. Regardless of their backstage relationship, it was inappropriate to grab him like he did. I don’t have a problem with a fine or a suspension, but I think it’s wrong to use someone who is as well-respected for his charity work as O’Neil is as an example. The whole situation just sucks.
– I’ll absolutely be the first one to admit that I was NOT on board with the new Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice movie until this week. The trailers gave away a LOT of things from the movie and none of it looked that great. It just looked like an over-booked wrestling match…to much sizzle but not enough steak. The final movie trailer that came out this week, though, has completely changed my mind on the movie. I mean, seriously…how can any comic book movie fan watch this trailer and NOT get excited about the movie???
– Bull Dempsey was released this week, which was a bit of a shock to a lot of NXT fans. Here is a guy who I was surprised to see signed in the first place. He’s not the most athletic, personable, or talented…but for some reason he was signed and even pushed as a bad-ass heel on NXT television. I never saw it, if I can be honest. I’m sure he’s got in-ring skills and is a nice guy and all, but I never saw him as a guy who could ever potentially be on the main roster as anything more than enhancement talent. Am I sorry to see him go? Perhaps a bit, but only because i enjoyed the comedic stylings of “Bull-Fit”. But other than that, it didn’t surprise me or shock me or sadden me to see him get released.
– I hadn’t heard about the movie Hardcore Henry until this week. I almost skipped the movie trailer, thinking the name of the film sounded silly. Man oh man…am I ever glad that I decided to watch it! This looks like an incredibly original action flick that could transform the entire genre or be a one-trick pony that dies a quick death. I’ll leave it to YOU to decide what you think…
– By the time you read this, I’ll have already watched Deadpool on IMAX 3D. I’ll try to have a review of the movie up over the weekend…but suffice to say that I’m absolutely STOKED for this film. Three or four years ago, I didn’t know who the hell Deadpool was other than what I saw in the X-Men movie. Thanks to hardcore fans and the passion of Ryan Reynolds to absolutely know 100% that nobody could pull off the character except for him, we’ve got a highly anticipated R-rated superhero movie that appears to be giving fans everything they could possibly want from this movie. The reviews have been great so far and from a non-Deadpool comic fan, I have no idea of what to expect other than what I’ve seen in the trailers.
– I know I’m an older guy, but I’d like to think I love beautiful women of all shapes and sizes and colors and ages. But this week I saw pics of Gweneth Paltrow, Kate Hudson, and Heidi Klum that make me firmly believe that they are just as hot now as they were a decade ago…if not hotter. If only all of us could age as gracefully…
– I don’t know about you, but I’m absolutely dumbfounded on just how WrestleMania will shape up to be a great card. Vince McMahon stated this week that “By being creative…we’ll have an awesome WrestleMania,” but I really don’t know if that can happen if he’s in charge. This is a guy who thinks Braun Strowman is the future monster heel superstar that the company’s been looking for. Seriously? What have we got (potentially) scheduled for the big show so far?
- Triple H vs Roman Reigns for WWE Heavyweight Championship
- Charlotte vs Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch vs Brie Bella for WWE Divas Championship
Aaaaaaaand that’s about it. Sure, there are rumours about match possibilities for the Undertaker and Brock Lesnar and Dean Ambrose and some others (apparently Strowman is the front-runner to win the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal), but everything is up in the air right now. I realize that injuries have really hurt WWE’s long-term planning, but we usually have an idea of the direction that the company is heading in. It’s not necessarily a bad thing to not know, but my thoughts are that it will take more than just one month to really hype the WrestleMania card.
Of course, having said that…last year’s card involved some last-minute changes and it turned out to be one of the best Mania’s in years. So I guess we’ll just have to wait and find out after FastLane just what direction the company is headed in.
– Song of the Week is by a band I’ve been a fan of for over a decade now. They’ve got some good songs but have always had incredibly original videos. Their newest one was filmed in zero gravity and, quite frankly, is 100% worth five minutes of your time to watch. Is it my favourite song of OK GO? No…but the video is absolutely fantastic.